Re: header syntax.

On Nov 23, 2012, at 2:54 AM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/community/markdown/
>
> A poll, one week duration, right side of page.

I think this poll may be too simplistic. As I've stated elsewhere, I'm in favor of our first spec matching the well-defined areas of Gruber's original while clarifying the ill-defined parts, with an aim toward building widespread acceptance of the spec initially. I think our approach should be to codify all currently acceptable syntax in that regard, but to make it clear that future revisions will be simplifying the syntax by deprecating lesser-used options.

Determining what options are used less, however, requires surveying existing usage by end users, something which no-one is currently working on. If we choose to adopt # header as the canonical header syntax even though the underline style is dominant in actual use, we'll limit adoption.

Ryan