Re: header syntax.

On 23 November 2012 12:02, Ryan Freebern <rfreebern@unionstmedia.com> wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2012, at 2:54 AM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.w3.org/community/markdown/
>>
>> A poll, one week duration, right side of page.
>
> I think this poll may be too simplistic.

Please feel free to set up another. I tried to summarise what has been
said, which is either current-MD syntax or a minimal one.

>As I've stated elsewhere, I'm in favor of our first spec matching the well-defined areas of Gruber's original while clarifying the ill-defined parts, with an aim toward building widespread acceptance of the spec initially. I think our approach should be to codify all currently acceptable syntax in that regard, but to make it clear that future revisions will be simplifying the syntax by deprecating lesser-used options.

Do you think headers well defined? I don't. Too many variants, too
many unclear and open to interpretation scenarios.

> Determining what options are used less, however, requires surveying existing usage by end users, something which no-one is currently working on. If we choose to adopt # header as the canonical header syntax even though the underline style is dominant in actual use, we'll limit adoption.

Until (or if) we have the survey information, I would rather progress
as best we can.

This is for the core/ baseline remember. Additional syntax can be
added with other profiles.

That would be my preference, starting from simple, clearly defined
syntax and semantic, valid with current implementations, adding
complexity as we feel is justified.

regards

--
Dave Pawson