Re: extension of markdown files

On 20 November 2012 10:00, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 November 2012 12:51, Ryan Freebern <rfreebern@unionstmedia.com> wrote:
>> I feel like the spec ought to address "identifying markdown content" in some
>> way, and filename extensions and MIME types are the two obvious ways to do
>> that. I think filename extensions are somewhat arbitrary, but without adding
>> a doctype to the markdown syntax I don't see a better way. That said, I've
>> only ever seen .md, .mkd, and .markdown.
>>
>> Ryan
>
> My view.
>    media-type is only useful when served, say, via http
>    a filename extension is useful locally for application association.
>    A doctype is an extension to a baseline spec.

I don't understand what do you mean by the "baseline".

A file extension helps locally for app association, agree. Though,
most tools like file on the cli or the integrated association for
exo-open, open, gnome-open,ecc. Don't trsut only in the file
extension.. that's the MIME type right? And I understand that the MIME
type is the same as the media type. For ie, if I download a plain text
(served as text/plain), thunar (xfce file manager) opens it with
leafpad because that is the association.

Specifically, I hope to define in our baseline spec (if I understood
the term correctly):

+ file extensions: .md, .mkd and .markdown
+ mime type: text/markdown

(Well, the last can only be done after we have markdown standarized).

Regards,
--
Pablo Olmos de Aguilera Corradini - @PaBLoX
http://www.glatelier.org/