Re: header syntax.

* Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> [2012-11-21 10:32 -0500]:
> On 21 November 2012 14:29, Shane McCarron <ahby@aptest.com> wrote:
> > As to processing precedence order, I think it should be:
> >
> > 1. # headerText with optional trailing # and optional ID text
> > 2. headerText followed by /^=+/ or /^-+/
> >
> > If a processor encounters both, the header level determined from (1) above
> > is used, and the dividing line is ignored.
>
> Have you seen other implementations which have a defined  precedence?
>
> I am -1 on any form of precedence. All I can see is confusion (users)
> and being ignored (implementation).

The thing which immediately came to mind when reading the above
description was that if a processor encountered both, the /^=+/ or /^-+/
should be treated as a horizontal rule.  However, neither Markdown.pl
1.0.1 or 1.0.2b8 produce that.  For both, with the input

#v+
# Header 1 #
------------
#v-

results in the output

#v+
<h2># Header 1 #</h2>
#v-

Something for an extension, perhaps, as it seems to be very inline with
the core concept: make pretty plain text, and convert it in a way that
makes sense to HTML.

Regards,
--
dave [ please don't CC me ]