From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 4:22 AM
To: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@levelaccess.com>
Cc: public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Subject: Re: focus visible

Hi Jon,

Sort of, let me provide some examples in colour. I think it is likely that people simply cannot (in any reasonable design) maintain a 3-way contrast, but contrast isn’t the only lever.

I created the following examples in a graphics programme so I’m not sure that 1px = 1px exactly, but I think it conveys the idea. The second button is always ‘default’, without focus style, for comparison.

Without the thickness/separation requirement this would pass the proposed SC, which is equivalent to adding a 1px black outline to a solid black button:
[cid:image011.png@01D553AE.16565830]

For those struggling to see it, there is a 1px red line around the left-hand solid blue button.

The changed pixels are going from white to dark red, so meet 3:1. However, the blue-red contrast ratio is 1:1.6, so if you can’t discern the hue then it is just a slightly thicker button.

With the thickness/separation requirement, the following would be alternative ways of meeting it with the same sort of design:

[cid:image012.png@01D553AE.16565830]
Same thickness, but separated.

[cid:image013.png@01D553AE.16565830]
Thicker (2px) line.

[cid:image014.png@01D553AE.16565830]
The minimum pixel requirement would be a 1px line along the longest side, in which case it would need separating.

[cid:image015.png@01D553AE.16565830]
If it wasn’t separated, it would need to be 2px thick.

This particular case would be applicable to buttons (or other things) with a solid background or outer border, it wouldn’t affect buttons that don’t have an outer border. In that case a 1px focus outline would work as it is already separated.

Cheers,

-Alastair