From: Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2018 4:20 PM
To: public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Subject: Acuity for 400% zoom

Hi LVTF folks,

Generally at what acuity -- 20/??? -- would a person be able to read well at 400% zoom, but not under 400% zoom?
(I know "It depends." on a whole bunch of factors! I'm wanting a reasonable number *generally*.)

Currently I have 20/500. I'd like more perspectives.

Context: The persona quote here:
<https://w3c.github.io/wai-intro-wcag/standards-guidelines/wcag/new-in-21/#1410-reflow-aa>
says:
[[
Problem: "It's nearly impossible to read text if I have to scroll right and left to read each line. It's disorienting and I lose my place. It makes it hard to understand what I'm reading."
Works well: "I increase the text size 400% and it reflowed within the width of the window. I can read it easily without scrolling back and forth."
]]

It's attributed to: "Parent with low vision – 20/500"

Thanks for input.

Best,
~Shawn