RE: Line Length

Wayne, the challenge with changing the requirements based on screen size is knowing when that occurs.  For something like HTML it is straightforward to get the viewport width.  With other technologies I'm not sure they can detect this information and adjust.  It does make sense to allow for more flexibility on smaller width views.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne Dick [mailto:wayneedick@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2016 4:25 PM
To: Jonathan Avila
Cc: public-low-vision-a11y-tf
Subject: Re: Line Length

Thanks Jon,
I mean reading anything more than spot checking (menus and buttons) a few words or lines. For example, I can read short emails and text messages if they are not too long (rare), but reading the content of a webpage with an article is usually impractical. I would read that on a laptop.  I would love to get into email and text messages, but I think they are out of scope for WCAG. Web based email clients are another story.

What I am thinking is this:
For pixel range 1921 or greater do : Do Exhibit Size -  Content author's responsibility?
For pixel range between 800 and 1900: Content author's responsibility is basically the SC main goal. (30 to 45 characters) For  pixel range between 600 and 799 do medium case (tablet) - content author' responsibility? The hardest case.
For pixel range between 300 and 599 do small case (cell 320px) - content author may fit no more than 35-40 characters on a line.

Or do we draw the lines on adjustable user agents?

Wayne