Re: How to model valid time of resource properties?

On 2014-10-13 14:32, Anisa Rula wrote:
> Hi,
>
> our paper [1] surveys all the possible approaches for representing
> temporal information in the context of Linked Data. You may find it
> useful for your work.

Thank you, it certainly is useful. Together with all the information
available the current state of affairs is becoming clearer. By now I
think it is safe to say that at this moment it is not possible to
recommend any approach over the others..

I like the fact that your paper has pointers to actual datasets that use
particular solutions. As an example of a dataset that uses temporal
graphs to record valid time EvOnt is mentioned. I was unable to find
this data set. Is it available on the web somewhere?

Regards,
Frans

> Best regards,
> Anisa
>
> 1. http://iswc2012.semanticweb.org/sites/default/files/76490481.pdf
>

> On 13 Oct 2014, at 14:16, Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca
> <mailto:info@csarven.ca>> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-10-13 13:54, Frans Knibbe | Geodan wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I wonder if a way of recording changes in properties of resources can be
>>> recommended. Many resources in real life have properties that have a
>>> time range of being valid. In some datasets, only the current (or most
>>> recent) state of a resource is stored, but in many cases it is important
>>> to keep track of the history of development of a resource.
>>>
>>> An example:
>>>
>>> :john_smith
>>>     a foaf:person ;
>>>     foaf:name "John Smith" ;
>>>
>>> Let's say that on 2013-09-27 John Smith marries Betty Jones. John Smith
>>> is still the same person, so it makes sense to extend the same resource,
>>> not create a new version:
>>>
>>> :john_smith
>>>     a foaf:person ;
>>>     foaf:name “John Smith” ;
>>>     ex:marriedTo :betty_jones ;
>>>
>>> How could I efficiently express the fact that the statement :john_smith
>>> ex:marriedTo :betty_jones is valid from 2013-09-27? And if the couple
>>> divorces, that the property has expired after a certain date? It would
>>> be nice if the way of modelling makes it easy to request the most recent
>>> state of a resource, any historical state, or a list of changes during a
>>> time period.
>>>
>>> A quick web scan on the subject revealed some interesting research
>>> papers, but as far as I can tell all solutions need extensions of RDF
>>> and/or SPARQL to work.
>>>
>>> Perhaps this question is really about the ability to make statements
>>> about a triple? Which is a problem for which no satisfactory solution
>>> has been found yet?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Frans
>>
>> Hi Frans,
>>
>> This is not a comprehensive answer on this topic, but you might want
>> to take a look at PROV-O [1] (which can address validity and history
>> of entities) and maybe even employ OA [2].
>>
>> Capturing temporal dimension of linked data by Jindřich Mynarz is an
>> excellent read [3].
>>
>> [1]http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-o/
>> [2]http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/
>> [3]http://blog.mynarz.net/2013/07/capturing-temporal-dimension-of-linked.html