Re: HTTPS for RDF URIs?

On 1/31/14 6:29 AM, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ wrote:
> On 01/30/2014 09:10 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 1/30/14 1:09 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>>

>>>     If not bad, is there any provision for allowing that an HTTPS URI
>>>     that only differs in the scheme part from HTTPS URI be identified
>>>     as the same resource?
>>>

>>> http and https are fundamentally different resources, but you can link
>>> them together with owl : sameAs, I think ...
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> You simply use an <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#sameAs> relation to
>> indicate that a common entity is denoted [1] by the http: and https:
>> scheme URIs in question.
> does it make sense then to use https: IRIs if we state that one can
> treat http: version as equivalent?

Yes it does. Its a choice that a data publisher has to make i.e., handle
mapping using the combination of virtual domains and re-write rules or
by making mappings explicit using owl:sameAs relations.

I demonstrate in my personal data space, you can use http: and https: as
mechanisms varying behavior of HTTP operations based on identity. For
instance:

1. https requests provide a mechanism for using the WebID + TLS
authentication protocol to verify a WebID that denotes an agent
(end-user, their browser, or some other piece of software operating in
"user agent" capacity) -- remember, this is just an extension of TLS
which is already implemented by all existing browsers

2. http requests enables use of digest, openid, and oauth based
authentication .

Thus, a fault on https: can be re-routed to http: and if the
authentication with the net effect being a processing pipeline for
identity authentication using a variety of existing authentication
protocols. Once an agent's identity is determined, data access policies
determine access to data associated with one or more named graphs  (or
graph groups).

Try these links to see what I've outlined above in action re., my Google
Drive mounted to my personal data space.

[1] https://kingsley.idehen.net/DAV/home/kidehen/Public/GoogleDrive/ --
https
[2] http://kingsley.idehen.net/DAV/home/kidehen/Public/GoogleDrive/ --
http .