Re: Alternative Linked Data principles

From: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 12:37:49 +0200
To: Luca Matteis <lmatteis@gmail.com>
Cc: Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
On 28 April 2014 17:23, Luca Matteis <lmatteis@gmail.com> wrote:

> The current Linked Data principles rely on specific standards and
> protocols such as HTTP, URIs and RDF/SPARQL. Because I think it's
> healthy to look at things from a different prospective, I was
> wondering whether the same idea of a global interlinked database (LOD
> cloud) was portrayed using other principles, perhaps based on
> different protocols and mechanisms.

If you look at the design principles behind Linked Data (timbl's or even
Brian Carpenter's) you'll find something called the TOII -- Test of
Independent Invention.

What that means is if there were another system that had the same
properties as the web, ie Universality, Tolerance, Modularity etc. using
URIs it would be gauranteed to be interoperable with Linked Data.  Linked
data is and isnt special.  It isnt special in that it could be
independently invented by an equally powerful system.  It is special in
that as a first mover (just as the web) it has the advantage of a wide
network effect.

Have a look at timbl's presentation on the TOII or at design issues axioms
and principles.

http://www.w3.org/Talks/1998/0415-Evolvability/slide12-1.htm