Re: Alternative Linked Data principles

On 28.4.2014 18:23, Luca Matteis wrote:
> The current Linked Data principles rely on specific standards and
> protocols such as HTTP, URIs and RDF/SPARQL. Because I think it's
> healthy to look at things from a different prospective, I was
> wondering whether the same idea of a global interlinked database (LOD
> cloud) was portrayed using other principles, perhaps based on
> different protocols and mechanisms.
>
> Thanks,
> Luca

Hello Luca and all

Topic Maps [1] represent an alternative/companion to the RDF in the LOD
stack. Topic Maps replace the RDF resource with a topic (with some
internal properties) and the RDF triplet with a role-aware hyperedge
(association) between topics.

We have been developing a Topic Maps based application called Wandora
[2] for some time and honestly think it suits rather well for
small-scale LOD despite the non-RDF data model.

Kind Regards,
Aki Kivela
Wandora Team

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topic_Maps