Re: OpenRefine

A Response and a follow-up question,

As Kingsley mentioned suggested, I have been able to get the reconciliation
service to work using LOD Refine with DBpedia and Freebase.  If you want, I
would be more than happy to set up a Google Hangouts and walk you through
the process.

I have experienced some problems, but it was when I tried to reconcile
against my own 4Store instance.  Which leads me to my own question.  LOD
Refine's standard SPARQL query is extremely poorly constructed and when
querying large datasets (using 4Store) my requests always time out.  The
dataset is a VIAF.nt data dump and consists of ~476 Million triples.  I
have tried increasing the "soft limit" of the 4store server, but all this
seems to do is cause them to take longer to fail.  I do not want to spend
the money on a Virtuoso instance, since I am just using this dataset for
experimentation.  Using Fiddler I was able to track the actual http request
made by the Reconciliation and noticed an oddity in the standard query.
 The issue with the standard LOD query is that they declare that the
parameter being sent in the query is a string (str) even though that should
be obvious (see below):

*
*
*Exact Match Search*
*PREFIX rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>*
*PREFIX rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#>*
*
*
*SELECT ?entity *
*WHERE {?entity <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name> ?label *
*      FILTER ( str(?label) = "Hunter, Virginia, 1921-2011")*
*}*

*Character by Character string match*
*PREFIX rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>*
*    PREFIX rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#>*
*    **
*
*    SELECT ?entity ?label1*
*    WHERE {?entity <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name> ?label1 *
*          FILTER regex(str(?label1), "Hunter, Virginia, 1921-2011", "i")*
*    **}**  *

When using the http SPARQL endpoint, I can remove the *str* parameter and
retrieve back results.  This is true both for direct queries (exact
matches) as well as string matches (close match).  Does anyone have any way
to easily change the syntax of the SPARQL query that is sent out?

Thanks,

Jeff Mixter
jeffmixter@gmail.com
mixterj@oclc.org