Re: OpenRefine

On 10/28/13 2:59 PM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
> Unfortunately I’ve not been a regular user, so it is probably my stupidity.
> Basically, I go through the Reconcile process using the Freebase Reconcile service, but it doesn’t find anything to reconcile, even though I have fixed it so that there is an entry that has exactly the same text as the Freebase entry title.
> It just shows as if there are no positive results.
> I try clicking on the search for match after that, but it never comes back, which makes me wonder.

I've played with LOD Refine and successfully used reconciliation via
Sindice, DBpedia and a variety of Entity Extraction Services (e.g.,
DBpedia Spotlight, Spaziodati, and Zemanta). By reconciliation I mean:

1. selecting a column
2. choosing the reconciliation or entity extraction menu options
3. getting back Linked Data URIs .

With the reconciliation in place, I can then:
1. leverage the Linked Data URIs from the reconciliation process when
constructing RDF skeletons (mappings from tabular to property graph
based data representation)
5. use the RDF skeleton to generate a Turtle document.

In my recent experience, there are times when the system has just
stopped working without any specific indication as to why e.g., imported
(or bound) prefixes aren't recognized when constructing RDF mapping
skeletons etc..

Maybe you could share your project file (via their project export
option) and others could shed light on what might be going wrong etc..

Kingsley

> On 28 Oct 2013, at 18:53, John Erickson <olyerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hugh, I wonder if you could be more specific regarding the troubles
>> you had with OpenRefine?
>>
>> One of our students also had trouble, and I'm wondering if it might be
>> the same problem.
>>
>> Like you, reconciliation with Refine has worked for me in the past but
>> I haven't tried the same process using OpenRefine...
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>> I’m not sure where to ask, so I’ll try my friends here.
>>> I was having a go at OpenRefine yesterday, and I can’t get it to reconcile, try as I might - I have even watched the videos again.
>>> I’m doing what I remember, but it is a while ago.
>>> Are there others currently using it successfully?
>>> Or is it possibly a Mavericks (OSX) upgrade thing, which I did recently.
>>> Cheers
>>> --
>>> Hugh
>>>

>> --