Re: The Test of Independent Invention (was: What Does Point Number 3 of TimBL's Linked Data Mean?)

On 24 June 2013 05:05, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:

> I hope you realize that the point of that thought experiment is to ensure
> that the technology in question is sufficiently powerful and flexible, so
> that *if* a parallel technology were discovered, the two could be extended
> to encompass each other with minimal added cost -- *not* that it is in any
> way desirable to have such parallel technologies.

Whether it's desirable or not to have diversity in technology is a whole
other debate.  It's arguable that the internet is sufficiently large a
system such that diversity is inevitable.  One thing that I think we can
all agree on, is that interoperablity is a good thing.