Re: Business Models, Profitability, and Linked Data

On 6/10/13 4:13 PM, Víctor Rodríguez Doncel wrote:
>>> Every data publisher that aggregates or collects data from other
>>> sources certainly needs to understand -- for their own workflow --
>>> where data originates.
>>
>> Not just for their own workflow. They have to attribute the data
>> sources in a form discernible to user agents (and other consumers)
>> further up the value chain.
>
> This unveils a new need, i.e., the need for clearly specifying the
> complete value chain and having trustful provenance information.

Well, just protecting provenance at each level in the value chain is
huge. You get implicit provenance via Linked Data URI preservation.
Basically, its the simplest form of attribution that also ensures data
provenance isn't dislocated in the value chain.

> This would enable new sorts of business, with proportional
> compensation for contributors in the value chain etc. (of course when
> data generates profit at the end of its value chain)....

I think it also enhances existing models :-)

Kingsley

> Víctor

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software