Re: Business Models, Profitability, and Linked Data

On 10 Jun 2013, at 15:07, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
 wrote:

> On 6/10/13 9:06 AM, Leigh Dodds wrote:
>> Hi,

<snip snip snip />

>> Sometimes its important to know how the sausage is made, sometimes its not.
>
> You always need to know who made the sausage :-)
>
> Kingsley

I know this is sort of a throw-away remark, but actually, that isn't true, and applies to data as well.
(And in the UK, it is an interesting question, given that there has recently been a lot of stuff about horse in processed foods.)
When most people buy sausages they have no idea who made them, and are perfectly happy to buy them.
The trust comes from the direct supplier in the supply chain.
And even when something goes wrong, it is not detected and tracked by provenance of the supply chain, but by forensics.

Consumers of data at the most similarly only want to know that the immediate supplier warrants (or whatever) the data.

Best
Hugh