Re: Linked Data Dogfood circa. 2013

From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 09:24:00 -0800 (PST)
To: Dave Caroline <dave.thearchivist@gmail.com>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>

________________________________
 From: Dave Caroline <dave.thearchivist@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Linked Data Dogfood circa. 2013

Applications with a name someone might use, that they know is using
linked data not hidden under any skin.
An application joe public would knowingly use to get information.
An app they knowingly download to their phone etc.

> To an extent, Joe Public is being asked to buy into Alchemy (for SEO) when only simple Chemistry is necessary (for Access).  These tables may help.  http://tinyurl.com/penserv

The problem, for Applications, is not the taxonomy of data or the web location of data.  "All roads lead to Rome" is control-freak-ery we can all do without, however the fine print of RFC 2693 requires only that "All roads pass through a Roman Arch somewhere or other.  Just call them Applications or Gateways or you will confuse some and make the rest fear arch transit."

IMHO, it all hinges on how much you expect "data" to explain itself.  For goodness sake, leave linked data be while it studies for its Turing Test or it will never pass.

re: All roads pass through Example ...

http://www.rustprivacy.org/2013/egov/penserv/gateway-eg2.xml (with XSLT, view source)
http://www.rustprivacy.org/2013/egov/penserv/gateway-eg2.html

(the text description validates (.xml (XSD), .html (DTD)) as (empty|plain text|grouped meta data))

As a lurker in these parts I am reminded of the emperor's new clothes.
Where is the pack of dogs to consume the data.

> Seriously, Dave, where's your "Linked Data" Cheerleader Spirit ?  Start here :)
http://dbpedia.org/page/Feral

--Gannon