Re: How can I express containment/composition?

On 21-2-2013 15:28, Matteo Casu wrote:
> The "contains" in GeoSPARQL holds between geometries, not geographic entities, so I don't think it would fit your needs.
>
> You can go with GeoNames. The following query should give you the result on a triple store (try on the FactForge endpoint or on your data once you have it):
>
> PREFIX gn:<http://www.geonames.org/ontology#>
>
> SELECT ?country (SUM(xsd:integer(?pop)) as ?tot)
> WHERE {
> ?province gn:featureCode gn:A.ADM1;
>   gn:parentCountry ?country;
>   gn:population ?pop
> }
> GROUP BY ?country
> ORDER BY DESC(?tot)
> LIMIT 1
Isn't the machine being helped in this example, by specifying that
provinces can be grouped into countries? Couldn't the machine find it
out for himself, making use of the knowledge that provinces are part of
countries and therefore their integer properties may be summed?

Or, in other words (sorry for not being able to express myself more
formally):

/Human:/ "Machine, which country has the highest number of inhabitants?"
/Machine:/ "Oh, that's easy. Let me see... There, I found a list of
countries.
Now I will just order those countries by the number of inhabitants....
Darn! The number of inhabitants is not known for countries. Let me look
further...
Hey, I see that a country is composed of provinces. And a province does
know its number of inhabitants. Now if I can find all provinces for each
country, I can sum the number of inhabitants and then I will have the
total for each country.
Done!"