Re: How can I express containment/composition?

Hi all

(with my Geonames ontology editor helmet on)

2013/2/21 Barry Norton <barry.norton@ontotext.com>

> I agree that one should expect (some) geographical containment(s) to
> represent general partonomy; I guess geonames doesn't because there is no
> canonical property for partonomy.

Well, geography is a tricky domain ... gn:parentFeature is the most generic
hierarchical property between gn:Feature, but it's not a partonomy stricto
sensu, because it covers both physical and administrative features. And its
transitivity entails for example that Guadeloupe is both child of Europe
through its administrative parent which is France, and child of Northern
America by its geographical location.
In a strict partonomy, seems to me that having two ancestors which are
physically disjoint should be forbidden.

gn:parentFeature   rdfs:subPropertyOf   dcterms:hasPart
would make sense since the latter has also a quite loose definition. I put
it on the to-consider list for the next publication.
"A related resource that is included either physically or logically in the
described resource."

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/OEP/SimplePartWhole/part.owl#partOfhas
probably a stronger semantics.

The double parenthood above would certainly break the results of population
using SPARQL queries such as proposed by Matteo if you count by continent.
People from Guadeloupe will be counted both as European and American ...

E.g., Geonames has:

--
*Bernard Vatant
*