Re: Publication of scientific research

On 04/29/2013 10:56 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 4/29/13 4:21 PM, Sarven Capadisli wrote:

>>> If I had such influence, of course :-)

>>> You heard it now.

>>> Yes, but why do you think xhtml+rdfa is the one? My point is that we
>>> don't know "the one", because that shouldn't matter in a world of URIs
>>> and RDF based Linked Data :-)
>>
>> You are right!
>>
>> I was proposing (X)HTML(+RDFa) because that's arguably most common and
>> simple enough to carry forward.
>
> I doubt it is. I even doubt its broad use.

What's your comparison?

I was comparing it to other; RDF formats, Microdata, and maybe even
microformats (which may even be more common). I could be wrong. I'm not
fixated on any as long as we are moving away from PDF :)

>> By having the accompanying CSS which follows the widely used
>> presentations, it is fairly on an equal footing with the currently
>> dominant format. It keeps reviewers happy since the "papers" are
>> fairly consistent.
>>
>> If we are willing to hack around getting structured data in and out of
>> PDF, I'm sure we can run circles around that via HTML+Whatever.
>
> I would hope so, and that's vital.
>
>> I just didn't want us to get lost in those possibilities and missing
>> the main mark :)
>
> So you have negate the inadvertent introduction of new hurdles :-)

The primary win IMHO is to use HTML. Whatever it is accompanied with is
a bonus considering the current state of things. Publishing the research
on a webpage is closely tied to that because we can actually start to
unleash the work on the Web in a friendly manner, as opposed to putting
up a format that's intended for the desktop on the Web.

The fact that PDF can carry RDF, or that some search companies are able
to present a view of the cached PDFs directly in the browser (like a
webpage or an application) are nice things. But they are merely some of
the workarounds to the problem that we got ourselves into.

-Sarven