Re: Cultural Heritage Data

On 5/21/12 2:10 PM, Dominic Oldman wrote:

> Hugh suggested that I post this.
>
> We are currently working with other museums aligning our catalogue
> data using the CIDOC-CRM ontology. We can now run single federated
> queries based on semantic alignment without the need to insert
> specific linking triples. When we applied to advertise our site on the
> LOD cloud we were turned down because we hadn't inserted specific
> links to other data sources. I realise that I could just stuff in a
> few links to Dbpedia to get accepted -  but given that we can
> harmonise data to a very high degree with another open CRM RDF data
> source perhaps we should still be allowed formal acceptance to the
> open data community.

First off, you've published Linked Data so you are part of the
community. Linkage to other data sets is a bonus, but not a prerequisite
since serendipitous discovery is a more important rule in this game :-)

Publish Linked Data and others will discover your data and link to it.
That's the single most important action item of all.

If you point me to your SPARQL endpoint or published datasets I'll see
if I can quickly knock up some cross links etc..

Kingsley

> Dominic Oldman
>
> *Deputy Head of IS *
>
> *IS Development Manager*