Re: Introducing the Knowledge Graph: things, not strings

On 5/17/12 11:22 AM, Steve Harris wrote:
> On 2012-05-17, at 00:04, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> On 5/16/12 6:55 PM, Bernard Vatant wrote:
>>> Adrian
>>>
>>> Don't dream of accessing the Google Knowledge Graph and query it
>>> through a SPARQL endpoint as you do for DBpedia. As every Google
>>> critical technological infrastructure, I'm afraid it will be well
>>> hidden under the hood, and accessible only through the search
>>> interface. If they ever expose the Graph objects through an API as
>>> they do for Gmaps, now THAT would be really great news.
>>>
>>> Kingsley says they have Freebase, yes but Freebase stores only 22
>>> million entities according to their own stats, which makes less than
>>> 5% of the overall figure, since Google claims 500 million nodes in
>>> the Knowledge Graph, and growing.  So I guess they have also DBpedia
>>> and VIAF and Geonames and you name it ... whatever open and
>>> structured they can put their hands on. Linked data stuff whatever
>>> the format.
>>>
>>> Bernard
>>
>> And it will be query accessible, this is something that's inevitable
>> and unavoidable. This is the Web.
>
> I doubt it. Google don't even allow API access to their search engine.
> I can still remember the days when they were a search company ;)
>
> For them it's all about staying ahead of the competition so they can
> get more eyeballs on google ads, and more tracking data - interactions
> with humans basically - providing APIs to their graph data doesn't
> help that aim.
>
> Doesn't mean they won't do it, but I don't think there's any reason
> for them to.

They will do it, because they have no choice. Of course, they might not
unveil this first time around. Eventually, the effects of "opportunity
costs" on their business model will kick in etc..  :-)

> - Steve
>
> --
> Steve Harris, CTO
> Garlik, a part of Experian
> 1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK
> +44 20 8439 8203 http://www.garlik.com/
> Registered in England and Wales 653331 VAT # 887 1335 93
> Registered office: Landmark House, Experian Way, Nottingham, Notts,
> NG80 1ZZ

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com