Re: NIR SIDETRACK Re: Change Proposal for HttpRange-14

On 3/31/12 11:32 AM, Jonathan A Rees wrote:
> In any case "information resource" as used in HR14a is well connected
> to AWWW and I think redefining the term, no matter how bad the
> definition, would just confuse things. You could say "HTTP resource"
> or something for resources that have representations (what would be an
> example of one that doesn't?). My opinion.
Information Resource isn't the problem. Its the Non Information Resource
(NIR) that's the problem. In the Linked Data realm we have  'Descriptor
Resources' that bear higher fidelity structured content which are still
ultimately constrained by mime type.

An illustration:

Information Space dimension
       | -- isA --> Web dimension

       |-- isA --> Web of Information Resources (e.g. an HTML page
modulo Microdata or RDFa data islands)

Data Space dimension
       | --> isA -- Web dimension

       |-- isA --> Web of Descriptor Resources (e.g. RDF documents where
content is RDF/XML, N-Triples, Turtle, HTML+Microdata, (X)HTML+RDFa etc..)

All of the resource types above are self-describing, courtesy of mime
type constrained content.

Excerpt from TimBL's  Web FAQ [1]:

Q: What did you have in mind when you first developed the Web?

 From A Short Personal History of the Web:

A: The dream behind the Web is of a common information space in which we
communicate by sharing information. Its universality is essential: the
fact that a hypertext link can point to anything, be it personal, local
or global, be it draft or highly polished. There was a second part of
the dream, too, dependent on the Web being so generally used that it
became a realistic mirror (or in fact the primary embodiment) of the
ways in which we work and play and socialize. That was that once the
state of our interactions was on line, we could then use computers to
help us analyze it, make sense of what we are doing, where we
individually fit in, and how we can better work together.

Bearing in mind the above, it should aid understanding why Linked Data
is about the Web's Data Space dimension. Remember, Data != Information.
When you put data in context you get information. A protocol for
accessing data combined with a model for data representation are
critical components for providing context for data, en route to
producing information.

Links:

1. http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/FAQ.html -- TimBL FAQ re. Web.

2. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hammer-discovery-06 -- some context
for descriptor resources which also demonstrates how this term provides
a conduit to others that are less interested in RDF content formats
while still interested in Web scale structured and linked data .

3. http://goo.gl/BBsIz -- Three main types of Object Descriptors
(remember: the Web is really a contemporary and widely successful
Distributed Object system) .

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com