Re: NIR SIDETRACK Re: Change Proposal for HttpRange-14

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Michael Brunnbauer
<brunni@netestate.de> wrote:

> Hallo Jonathan
>
> [off list. If you think your answer will be helpful to others, put it back on
> the list]
>
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:54:09AM -0400, Jonathan A Rees wrote:
>> That is: an IR is something that has a representation.
> [...]
>> It would be nice in a way because it would make HR14a
>> completely vacuous. This is what I call "opt in" because you wouldn't
>> be able to assume that what you GET is content (Tim's word, my
>> "instance").
>
> Why would this definition make HR14 vacuous ? I would say that the rule
> "from a statuscode 200, you can infer that you got a representation of what
> the URI denotes" can be made with or without that definition.

What I mean by vacuous is that RFC 2616 (certainly HTTPbis) already
says - in my reading at least - that the retrieved representation is a
representation of the resource identified by the URI (or at least that
the server is *saying* so, i.e. it is nominally so, which is usually
good enough).

So this is something we already knew from the HTTP spec, which all of
us pretty much agree to; neither the TAG nor anyone else would have to
say that this is the case in any pronouncement resembling
httpRange-14(a).

Maybe "vacuous" was a poor choice of word.

On the other hand the specs are all terribly murky, so maybe it would
be good to repeat this somewhere.

In any case "information resource" as used in HR14a is well connected
to AWWW and I think redefining the term, no matter how bad the
definition, would just confuse things. You could say "HTTP resource"
or something for resources that have representations (what would be an
example of one that doesn't?). My opinion.

Best
Jonathan