Re: See Other

On 28 March 2012 14:24, David Wood <david@3roundstones.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> On Mar 27, 2012, at 21:30, Dan Brickley wrote:
>
>> On 27 March 2012 20:23, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm curious as to why this is difficult to explain.  Especially since I also
>>> have difficulties explaining the benefits of linked data.  However, normally
>>> the road block I hit is explaining why URIs are important.
>>

>> Alice: So, you want to share your in-house thesaurus in the Web as
>> 'Linked Data' in SKOS?
>>
>> Bob: Yup, I saw [inspirational materials] online and a few blog posts,
>> it looks easy enough. We've exported it as RDF/XML SKOS already. Here,
>> take a look...
>>
>> [data stick changes hands]
>>
>> Alice: Cool! And .. yup it's wellformed XML, and here see I parsed it
>> with a real RDF parser (made by Dave Beckett who worked on the last
>> W3C spec for this stuff, beats me actually checking it myself) and it
>> didn't complain. So looks fine! Ok so we'll need to chunk this up
>> somehow so there's one little record per term from your thesaurus, and
>> links between them... ...and it's generally good to make human facing
>> pages as well as machine-oriented RDF ones too.
>
> Bob and Alice can stop at this point, throw the RDF/XML at Callimachus, write some templates in XHTML/RDFa and be done.  They would get themeable human-oriented HTML, conneg for RDF/XML and Turtle, one URI per term, REST API CRUD, management with user accounts...

Ok, ... up for a simple challenge then?

In http://schema.org/JobPosting we say that a "job posting" (likely
expressed in html + microdata or for that matter html + rdfa) can have
an occupationalCategory property, whose values are drawn from an
existing scheme, "Category or categories describing the job. Use BLS
O*NET-SOC taxonomy: http://www.onetcenter.org/taxonomy.html. Ideally
includes textual label and formal code, with the property repeated for
each applicable value."

If you dig around on that link you can find PDF and XLS files at
http://www.onetcenter.org/reports/Taxonomy2010.html

So let's take http://www.onetcenter.org/dl_files/Taxonomy2010_AppA.xls
... it shows a table with pairs of codes and labels, and a kind of
implied hierarchy.

Say we wanted those in linked data (SKOS, most likely), ... how should
the pages and URIs look?

Can we do something better than point to .xls and .pdf files? what
advice would we give the administrators of that site, for publishing
(annual versions of...) their job taxonomy codes? How
would/could/should an actual job listing on a jobs site look? Would it
have a real hyperlink into the taxonomy site? Or just a textual
property? What kind of standard templates can be offered to make such
things less choice-filled? How would we do the same with, say, country
codes?

cheers,

Dan