Re: Google and the Googlization of the semantic web

On 3/26/12 5:21 PM, Nuno Bettencourt wrote:
> Well, I guess all the work I've been doing, in order to automatically
> create traceability annotations for user-generated-content upon
> resources to support resource recommendation of access control is
> going down the drain.

Of course not.

> At least I was using WebIDs, all the traceability annotations could be
> stored in LOD repositories and actions could be traced back to the
> user by using open standards.

Good!

> Will this still happen with Google or Facebook?

Already happening on the Facebook side, so Google will eventually follow.

> I guess they already track down everything one does. The difference is
> that they don't publish it but at least they could give access to the
> user who "generated" that information.

You would think!

> Nevertheless, I still want to be able to keep my records of where I
> browsed, how I browsed, how many scrolls I did on one page, which
> resources I have uploaded (independently of each website), downloaded,
> etc. I want to be able to share those resources according to my rules
> and not by those imposed by local webserver policies and have
> cross-domain sharing policies so that I can manage my sharing with
> friends/others in a single/distributed place and not replicated and
> translated to each website data silo...

Yep! Thus, WebID and ACLs based on Web == Your Best Friend.

> For these reasons I think there's still going to be space for
> envisioned academic uses of semantic web.
>
> Facebook and/or Google using WebIDs and linked data in the future?
> Would help in lots of aspects ;)

They all end up in the right place post effects of opportunity cost.
Preaching to behemoths is a waste of time, eating their lunch is a
productive and ultimately rewarding pastime at the very least :-)

Kingsley
> Best regards,
> Nuno Bettencourt
>

> On 26/03/2012, at 20:53, ProjectParadigm-ICT-Program wrote:
>
>> See:
>> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304459804577281842851136290.html
>>
>> The clock is ticking now and it seems Google will soon take over
>> semantic web technologies, or not?
>>
>> With the new privacy universal agreement introduced at the beginning
>> of March this year by Google it was only logical that semantic search
>> would be added to expand the data mining tool kit to optimize the
>> utilization of user generated trails of web use.
>>
>> And what will happen to the envisioned academic uses of semantic web
>> technologies and linked data?
>>
>> Are we facing a world according to Google (and FaceBook etc.)?
>>
>> Milton Ponson
>> GSM: +297 747 8280
>> PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
>> Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
>> Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for
>> sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide by creating ICT
>> tools for NGOs worldwide and: providing online access to web sites
>> and repositories of data and information for sustainable development

>> are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
>> the system manager. This message contains confidential information
>> and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the
>> named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this
>> e-mail.

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com