URIs for languages

From: Jordanous, Anna <anna.jordanous@kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:15:44 +0000
To: "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
Hi LOD list,

I am looking for URIs to use  to represent particular languages (primarily Ancient Greek, Arabic, English and Spanish). This is to represent what language a document is written in, in an RDF triple. I thought it would be obvious how to refer to the language itself, but I am struggling.

I would like to use something like the ISO 639 standard for languages. To distinguish between Ancient Greek and Modern Greek, I have to use the ISO-639-2 set of language codes. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/ (The codes are grc and gre respectively)

http://downlode.org/Code/RDF/ISO-639/ is an RDF representation of ISO 639 but it doesn't include Ancient Greek as it only includes ISO-639-1 languages.

As far as I see, I have the following options e.g. for Arabic
Use the http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/langcodes_name.php?code_ID=22
http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/langcodes-keyword.php?SearchTerm=ara&SearchType=iso_639_2
http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2#ara

This really must be simpler - what am I missing? Any comments welcomed. Thanks for your help
anna

---
Anna Jordanous
Research Associate