Re: Explaining the benefits of http-range14 (was Re: [HTTP-range-14] Hyperthing: Semantic Web URI Validator (303, 301, 302, 307 and hash URIs) )

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Leigh Dodds <leigh.dodds@talis.com> wrote:
> Hi Jonathan
>
> I think what I'm interested in is what problems might surface and
> approaches for mitigating them.

I'm sorry, the writeup was designed to do exactly that. In the example
in the "conflict" section, a miscommunication (unsurfaced
disagreement) leads to copyright infringement. Isn't that a problem?
There is no heuristic that will tell you which of the two works is
licensed in the stated way, since both interpretations are perfectly
meaningful and useful.

For mitigation in this case you only have a few options
1. precoordinate (via a "disambiguating" rule of some kind, any kind)
2. avoid using the URI inside <...> altogether - come up with distinct
wads of RDF for the 2 documents
3. say locally what you think <...> means, effectively treating these
URIs as blank nodes

Jonathan