Re: Loooking for high quality list of current, real countries

Interesting. I wonder why the FAO decided to introduce separate predicates for labels in languages instead of using the language tag. Eg:

  <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://aims.fao.org/aos/geopolitical.owl#Cuba">
    <nameCurrencyIT rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">peso cubano</nameCurrencyIT>
    <nameCurrencyAR rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">بيسو</nameCurrencyAR>
    <nameCurrencyFR rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">peso</nameCurrencyFR>

instead of something like

<nameCurrency xml:lang="fr">peso</nameCurrency>
<nameCurrency xml:lang="it">peso cubano</nameCurrency>

Ivan

On Mar 22, 2011, at 10:26 , Boris Villazón Terrazas wrote:

> Hi Aldo
>
> The FAO Geopolitical Ontology
>
> http://www.fao.org/countryprofiles/geoinfo.asp
>
> http://aims.fao.org/aos/geopolitical.owl
>
> Best
>
> Boris
>

> On 22/03/2011 7:01, Aldo Bucchi wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>> I don't usually do this but I would like some help in finding a high
>> quality list of "current" ( not Sparta ) and "real" ( not Mordor )
>> countries with the following props:
>>
>> * ISO 3166-1-alpha-2 code
>> * English Name
>> * Flag
>> * Local Name ( optional )
>> * Language ( optional )
>> * Population ( optional )
>> * Facebook ID ( would be cool, but I imagine this is harder )
>>
>> I am finding pieces of this dataset here and there ( DBPedia,
>> Freebase, CIAWFB, GeoNames ) with varying coverage and quality.
>> In case you are wondering: Yes, I *AM* trying to save myself some work ;)
>>
>> Shameless crowd sourcing.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Aldo Bucchi