Re: data schema / vocabulary / ontology / repositories

From: Bob Ferris <zazi@elbklang.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 21:35:04 +0100
To: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
CC: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
Hi,

On 14.03.2011 22:42, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> Bob,
>
> On 14 Mar 2011, at 10:47, Bob Ferris wrote:
>> Am 14.03.2011 11:13, schrieb Richard Cyganiak:
>>> The abandoned PhD project type of ontology or vocabulary has no community around it. Therefore, one gains very little by re-using it.
>> I can only repeat myself: PhD-project-born ontologies have not to be bad per se, or? Banning them a priori is a rather prejudiced approach in my mind.
>
> How did you get from
>
> “One gains very little from re-using an abandoned PhD project ontology”

> “Ontologies created in PhD projects should be banned”?

Yes, sorry, maybe my interpretation was a bit harsh. However, please
keep in mind:

"We notice that most ontologies and Web vocabularies, especially the
most popular ones, are developed by academic researchers (FOAF, SIOC,
Good Relations, Music Ontology, etc.)" (cited from [1])

I guess, there are still some lurking jewels or rough diamonds out
there. So, we have to keep or eyes and ears open, or?

Cheers,

Bob

[1] Zimmermann, Antoine; "Ontology Recommendation for the Data
Publishers"; ORES-2010; 2010;
http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Publications/CEUR-WS/Vol-596/paper-12.pdf