W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-lod@w3.org > July 2011

Re: Dataset URIs and metadata.

From: Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:47:46 +0100
Cc: Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
Message-Id: <25811A2C-A7BC-4D80-8D46-8E361B6D7C99@deri.org>
To: Frans Knibbe <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>

Frans,

Forgot two things, sorry:

http://lod-cloud.net/void.ttl might provide you with some URI's for  
interlinking descriptions and we have a separate VoID discussion group  
[1] if you want to go into greater details ;)

Cheers,
	Michael

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/?pli=1#!forum/void-discussion
--
Dr. Michael Hausenblas, Research Fellow
LiDRC - Linked Data Research Centre
DERI - Digital Enterprise Research Institute
NUIG - National University of Ireland, Galway
Ireland, Europe
Tel. +353 91 495730
http://linkeddata.deri.ie/
http://sw-app.org/about.html

On 21 Jul 2011, at 11:43, Michael Hausenblas wrote:

>
> Frans,
>
> Please refer to http://www.w3.org/TR/void/ as this is the official  
> Note ...
>
>
>> 1) Is it common practice/recommendable to regard a dataset a  
>> resource? If it is, then all datasets should have a URI, right?
>
> Yes, all datasets (and sub-sets) should have a URI.
>
>
>> 2) If having a dataset URI is a good thing, what should be behind  
>> the URI? Should dereferencing the URI lead to the dataset metadata  
>> (a VoID file for example)?
>
>
> As described in http://www.w3.org/TR/void/#discovery
>
>> 3) If dereferencing a dataset  URI leads to the dataset metadata,  
>> should there be separate HTML and RDF versions of the metadata? Or  
>> is it better to have a HTML page with embedded (RDFa) RDF data?
>
> Up to you. If you want to be Linked Data compliant (remember the 3rd  
> principle ;) than you'll serve *some* structured data from the URI.  
> RDFa is just as fine as anything else there, really.
>
> You might be interested to learn about the 'bigger' picture via http://linked-data-life-cycles.info
>
> Cheers,
> 	Michael
> --
> Dr. Michael Hausenblas, Research Fellow
> LiDRC - Linked Data Research Centre
> DERI - Digital Enterprise Research Institute
> NUIG - National University of Ireland, Galway
> Ireland, Europe
> Tel. +353 91 495730
> http://linkeddata.deri.ie/
> http://sw-app.org/about.html
>
> On 21 Jul 2011, at 11:35, Frans Knibbe wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have just placed a Linked Data dataset online and now I am  
>> struggling with finding the best way to publish the metadata of the  
>> dataset. I wonder if there are best practices for referencing a  
>> dataset and its metadata, and for linking the two.
>>
>> I did find out that using the Vocabulary of Interlinked Data (VoID)  
>> is a good way to publish the metadata of a dataset. But I still  
>> need some guidance. I have come up with three questions:
>>
>> 1) Is it common practice/recommendable to regard a dataset a  
>> resource? If it is, then all datasets should have a URI, right?
>> 2) If having a dataset URI is a good thing, what should be behind  
>> the URI? Should dereferencing the URI lead to the dataset metadata  
>> (a VoID file for example)?
>> 3) If dereferencing a dataset  URI leads to the dataset metadata,  
>> should there be separate HTML and RDF versions of the metadata? Or  
>> is it better to have a HTML page with embedded (RDFa) RDF data?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help,
>> Frans
>
>
Received on Thursday, 21 July 2011 10:48:18 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Sunday, 31 March 2013 14:24:34 UTC