W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-lod@w3.org > July 2011

Re: Dataset URIs and metadata.

From: Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:43:55 +0100
Cc: "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
Message-Id: <661DF73D-7AF1-46BF-A7AC-B565C8CE7E77@deri.org>
To: Frans Knibbe <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>

Frans,

Please refer to http://www.w3.org/TR/void/ as this is the official  
Note ...


> 1) Is it common practice/recommendable to regard a dataset a  
> resource? If it is, then all datasets should have a URI, right?

Yes, all datasets (and sub-sets) should have a URI.


> 2) If having a dataset URI is a good thing, what should be behind  
> the URI? Should dereferencing the URI lead to the dataset metadata  
> (a VoID file for example)?


As described in http://www.w3.org/TR/void/#discovery

> 3) If dereferencing a dataset  URI leads to the dataset metadata,  
> should there be separate HTML and RDF versions of the metadata? Or  
> is it better to have a HTML page with embedded (RDFa) RDF data?

Up to you. If you want to be Linked Data compliant (remember the 3rd  
principle ;) than you'll serve *some* structured data from the URI.  
RDFa is just as fine as anything else there, really.

You might be interested to learn about the 'bigger' picture via http://linked-data-life-cycles.info

Cheers,
	Michael
--
Dr. Michael Hausenblas, Research Fellow
LiDRC - Linked Data Research Centre
DERI - Digital Enterprise Research Institute
NUIG - National University of Ireland, Galway
Ireland, Europe
Tel. +353 91 495730
http://linkeddata.deri.ie/
http://sw-app.org/about.html

On 21 Jul 2011, at 11:35, Frans Knibbe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just placed a Linked Data dataset online and now I am  
> struggling with finding the best way to publish the metadata of the  
> dataset. I wonder if there are best practices for referencing a  
> dataset and its metadata, and for linking the two.
>
> I did find out that using the Vocabulary of Interlinked Data (VoID)  
> is a good way to publish the metadata of a dataset. But I still need  
> some guidance. I have come up with three questions:
>
> 1) Is it common practice/recommendable to regard a dataset a  
> resource? If it is, then all datasets should have a URI, right?
> 2) If having a dataset URI is a good thing, what should be behind  
> the URI? Should dereferencing the URI lead to the dataset metadata  
> (a VoID file for example)?
> 3) If dereferencing a dataset  URI leads to the dataset metadata,  
> should there be separate HTML and RDF versions of the metadata? Or  
> is it better to have a HTML page with embedded (RDFa) RDF data?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
> Frans
Received on Thursday, 21 July 2011 10:44:36 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Sunday, 31 March 2013 14:24:34 UTC