Re: Document fragment vocabulary

On 4 Aug 2011, at 14:22, Alexander Dutton wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Alex,

> Say I have an XML document, <http://example.org/something.xml>, and I
> want to talk about about some part of it in RDF. As this is XML, being
> able to point into it using XPath sounds ideal, leading to something like:
>
> <#fragment> a fragment:Fragment ;
>  fragment:within <http://example.org/something.xml> ;
>  fragment:locator "/some/path[1]"^^fragment:path .

I think you're mostly describing XPointer? [1][2]

> (For now we can ignore whether we wanted a nodeset or a single node,
> and how to handle XML namespaces.)

XPointer certainly handles this. You might find it a little scary :-)

> More generally, we might want other ways of locating fragments
> (probably with a datatype for each):

By 'more generally' do you mean non-xml documents?

> * character offsets / ranges

[3]

> Has something already done this? Is it even (mostly?) sane?

a) Yes, b) I shall withhold comment concerning the sanity of xpointer.

Damian

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/>
[2] <http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-xpointer/>
[3] <http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-xpointer/#stringrange>