Re: REST and Linked Data (was Minting URIs)

On 4/17/11 6:28 AM, Ed Summers wrote:
> Was there really a chapter in the history of the Semantic Web where
> HTTP URIs in RDF were not expected to resolve? Wouldn't that have
> removed all the machinery for the "Web" from the "Semantic Web"? I
> only really started paying attention to RDF when the Linked Data
> effort (SWEO) picked up, so I'm just generally interested in this
> pre-history, and other people's memory of it.
Ed,

Even at this point in time, when RDF is going through review, there
isn't an explicit expectation that URIs de-reference. This issue is the
essence of the matter re. RDF and Linked Data confusion.

If RDF doesn't mandate that URIs resolve, how can it be construed (by
many) that you cannot have Linked Data without RDF?

The thing about technology narratives is that they have to consistent
across definition and practice dimensions. Of course, if there's
literature that contradicts my position, I strongly encourage others to
reveal these contradictions via reference links. Clarity is what's most
important at this point in time re., Linked Data. Its the key to broad
adoption outside this community.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com