Re: Linked Data, Blank Nodes and Graph Names

re

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 06:45:55PM +0100, Nathan wrote:
> To cut a long story short, blank nodes are a bit of a PITA to work with,

Yes.

> - would you be happy to give up blank nodes?

No

> - just the [] syntax?

I am not sure if I understand that. I know that syntax from SPARQL and N3.
I see no reason to remove it from SPARQL.

> - do you always have a "name" for your graphs? (for instance when
> published on the web, the URL you GET, and when in a store, the ?G of
> the quad?

Not always.

> 4) create a subset of RDF which does have a way of differentiating blank
> nodes from URI-References, where each blank node is named persistently
> as something like ( graph-name , _:b1 ),

This seems to be a way of skolemizing using the graph name.

I would prefer a way of skolemizing that does not depend on the graph name
and can be done by producer *and* consumer of RDF on a voluntary base.
It should be a standard with reference implementations in all important
languages for:

-generating a skolem URI
-converting an unskolemized RDF serialization to a skolemized one
-converting a skolemized RDF serialization to an unskolemized one

It is important that skolem URIs would be recognizeable.

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer