Re: Linked Data, Blank Nodes and Graph Names

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 22:05:20 +0100
To: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@netestate.de>
CC: public-lod@w3.org
Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> I would prefer a way of skolemizing that does not depend on the graph name
> and can be done by producer *and* consumer of RDF on a voluntary base.
> It should be a standard with reference implementations in all important
> languages for:
>
> -generating a skolem URI
> -converting an unskolemized RDF serialization to a skolemized one
> -converting a skolemized RDF serialization to an unskolemized one
>
> It is important that skolem URIs would be recognizeable.

I agree, why a URI? and why invent a new identifier (possibly getting
all kinds of duplicates over time and creating a management nightmare)
when often people/machines have already given nodes a form of
reference/identifier?

Why turn _:b1 in to some new uri, when often you could just say that
_:b1 is short for http://example.org/doc#[_:b1] ? (which isn't a valid
IRI but does have all the beneficial properties of an IRI)

Best,

Nathan