Re: AW: AW: ANN: LOD Cloud - Statistics and compliance with best practices

From: Enrico Franconi <franconi@inf.unibz.it>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 17:47:47 +0200
Cc: "'Martin Hepp'" <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>, "'public-lod'" <public-lod@w3.org>, "'Juan Sequeda'" <juanfederico@gmail.com>, "'Denny Vrandecic'" <denny.vrandecic@kit.edu>, "'Kingsley Idehen'" <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, "'Semantic Web'" <semantic-web@w3.org>, "'Enrico Motta'" <e.motta@open.ac.uk>, "'Thomas Steiner'" <tsteiner@google.com>, "'Anja Jentzsch'" <anja@anjeve.de>, "'semanticweb'" <semanticweb@yahoogroups.com>, "'Giovanni Tummarello'" <giovanni.tummarello@deri.org>, "'Mathieu d'Aquin'" <m.daquin@open.ac.uk>
To: Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>
I happen to agree with Martin here.
My concern is that the na´vetÚ of most of the research in LOD creates the illusion that data integration is an easily solvable problem -- while it is well known that it is the most important open problem in the database community (30+ years of research) where there is a huge amount of money, research, and resources invested in it. This will eventually fire back to us - the whole community including me - since people will not trust us anymore.
Specifically, you can't deny that in practice the mythical picture gives this illusion; otherwise, why have it?
cheers
--e.