Re: Is 303 really necessary?

On 11/26/10 4:47 PM, William Waites wrote:
> * [2010-11-26 15:15:42 +0100] Bob Ferris<zazi@elbklang.net>  écrit:
> ]
> ] I wrote a note as an attempt to clarify a bit the terms Resource,
> ] Information Resource and Document and their relations (from my point of
> ] view). Maybe this helps to figure out the bits of the current confusion.
>
> So taking a cue from this thread, I've implemented something that I
> think is in line with the original suggestion for a new dataset that
> I'm working on. If you request, e.g.
>
>      http://bnb.bibliographica.org/entry/GB8102507
>
> with an Accept header indicating an interest in RDF data, you will get
> a 200 response with a Content-Location header indicating that what is
> returned is actually the GB8102507.rdf document. It seems to me that
> this is enough information that a client needn't be confused between
> the document and the book, "A good man in Africa". There is
> foaf:primaryTopic linkage in the document that should also adequately
> explain the state of affairs.
>
> However it seems that some clients are confused -- tabulator for
> instance as was pointed out in irc the other day.
>
> My question is, should I change the behaviour to the standard 303
> redirect or leave it as a stake in the ground saying that this is a
> reasonable arrangement?
>
> Cheers,
> -w

William,

I see nothing wrong our client was able to extract a description by
de-referencing your URI without being confused about Entity Name or
Descriptor Document Address.

Links:

1.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/bnb.bibliographica.org/entry/GB8102507
-- a description of the resource
2.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbnb.bibliographica.org%2Fentry%2FGB8102507
-- ditto (if you follow "type" property values you will end up with a
path to descriptions of other entities of type bibo:Book in this
particular data space etc..) .

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com