Re: survey: who uses the triple foaf:name rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:label?

Unfortunately, they should complain. OWL defines rdfs:label as an
annotation property, but foaf:name is a datatype property.

If foaf decided to make foaf:name an annotation property too, then it
would be possible to assert that, and even to retain the domain and
range assertions.

While they would not be seen by OWL reasoners, other tools and
interpretations using the rdf-based semantics would take them into
account.

Personally, I think this would be a fine change - no errors users
choose OWL-DL and additional functionality in other situations.

This wasn't possible in OWL 1, but OWL 2 offers:

AnnotationAxiom := AnnotationAssertion | SubAnnotationPropertyOf |
AnnotationPropertyDomain | AnnotationPropertyRange

http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/#Annotation_Subproperties

-Alan

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 3:25 PM, KangHao Lu (Kenny)
<kennyluck@csail.mit.edu> wrote:

>> This is one of several things that OWL DL oriented tools (eg.
>> http://www.mygrid.org.uk/OWL/Validator) don't seem to like, since it
>> mixes application schemas with the W3C builtins.
>>

> FWIW, the footer on the page of the tool mentioned
>
> [[
> © University of Manchester, 2003, © University of Karlsruhe, 2003
> ]]
>
> Do contemporary OWL DL tools complain about this triple?

They should not, as long as