clarification on the use of fragments

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 20:43:41 +0000
To: Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
All,

For some reason I keep hearing people inferring that if you use
fragments you must for some reason put all your descriptions of things /
resources in a single "file".

I'd just like to confirm that couldn't be further from the truth if it
tried.

/resources/Foo
/resources/Bar
/resources/Baz

/Foo#t
/Bar#t
/Baz#t

However, with #fragments you can *optionally* put the description of one
or more "things" in a single "file"

/things#foo
/things#bar
/Baz#t

Fragments allow you to be as verbose or as terse as you like with your
data. This is particularly useful for logically grouping related
resources, for instance in ones FOAF profile you may have:

/bob#me
/bob#certificate
/bob#assistant

But you most certainly are not constrained to putting the descriptions
of all your things in one "file", that's about as ridiculous as it sounds.

Best,

Nathan