Re: 200 OK with Content-Location might work

Hi Phil!

Phil Archer wrote:
> I know I sound like a fundamentalist in a discussion where we're trying
> to find a practical, workable solution, but is a description of a toucan
> a representation of a toucan? IMO, it's not. Sure, one can imagine an
> HTTP response returning a very rich data stream that conveys the entire
> experience of having a toucan on your desk - but the toucan ain't
> actually there.

Since this distinction is, and has been for many years, debatable, why
not be pragmatic and leave this choice to the users themselves? If
someone thinks that a web page consisting of a picture and a textual
description is an adequate represenation of a Toucan, let them return
one over HTTP (as long as they are aware that the web page itself is a
different resource yada yada...). People expecting the Toucan to fly
down the wire and appear at their desk might me disappointed but most
users will probably be happy with the low-fidelity version.

Tore Eriksson

Tore Eriksson [tore.eriksson at po.rd.taisho.co.jp]