Re: Is 303 really necessary?

Hi David,

On 4 November 2010 19:57, David Wood <david@3roundstones.com> wrote:
> Some small number of people and organizations need to provide back-links on the Web since the Web doesn't have them.
> 303s provide a generic mechanism for that to occur.  URL curation is a useful and proper activity on the Web, again in my opinion.

I agree that URL curation is a useful and proper activity on the Web.
I'm not clear on your core concern though. It looks like you're
asserting that HTTP 303 status codes, in general, are useful and
should not be deprecated. Totally agree there. But Ian's proposal is
about using 303 as a necessary part of publishing Linked Data. That
seems distinct from how services like PURLs and DOIs operate, and from
the value they provide. But perhaps I'm misunderstanding?

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds