Re: Conneg representation equivalence

Vasiliy Faronov wrote:
> Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> To complete this important thread, why not post a few triples that
>> reflect your understand of Richard's suggestions. You aren't the first
>> person to hit this problem and you certainly won't be the last, so the
>> more examples we can persist on the Web, the better for others that come
>> through.
>>

> No problem. I got the idea of something like this:
>
> <http://example.org/>
>  a foaf:Document ;
>  rdfs:label "Article"@en , "Статья"@ru ;
>  dcterms:title "Article"@en , "Статья"@ru ;
>  dcterms:creator <http://example.org/id/joe> ;
>  dcterms:created "2010-03-04"^^xsd:date ;
>  dcterms:hasVersion <http://example.org/index.en.html> ,
>   <http://example.org/index.ru.html> .
>
> <http://example.org/index.en.html>
>  a foaf:Document ;
>  rdfs:label "Article"@en ;
>  dcterms:title "Article"@en ;
>  dcterms:creator <http://example.org/id/joe> ;
>  dcterms:created "2010-03-04"^^xsd:date ;
>  dcterms:language <http://www.lingvoj.org/lang/en> ;
>  dcterms:hasVersion <http://example.org/index.ru.html> .
>
> <http://example.org/index.ru.html>
>  a foaf:Document ;
>  rdfs:label "Статья"@ru ;
>  dcterms:title "Статья"@ru ;
>  dcterms:creator <http://example.org/id/joe> ;
>  dcterms:contributor <http://example.org/id/jane> ;
>  dcterms:created "2010-03-17"^^xsd:date ;
>  dcterms:language <http://www.lingvoj.org/lang/ru> .
>
> Joe is the author of the original article, and he's credited as
> dcterms:creator. Jane is the translator, she is mentioned as
> dcterms:contributor for the Russian resource.

Problem: the Article and the Document (the resource at the URL) are
distinct. Think "Book" and "Story in the Book" they are two distinct
things with different characteristics (properties) that are connected by
a relation.
> dcterms:created for the canonical URI reflects the creation date of the
> original article. For the translation, it's substituted with the date of
> translation.
>
> I'm not sure if we could also say that
>
>  </index.ru.html> dcterms:hasVersion </index.en.html> .
>
> I guess it depends on one's reading of the DC spec, probably nobody
> would die if this triple was included, but here I omitted it for extra
> precision.
>
> The Lingvoj ontology[1] also has provisions for describing translations
> as resources in their own right, but it's a bit beyond the topic here.
>
> As for dcterms:hasFormat, I don't think it can be used here, but if we
> also had a PDF version of the article, we could write:
>
>  </index.en.html> dcterms:hasFormat </index.en.pdf> .
>  </index.ru.html> dcterms:hasFormat </index.ru.pdf> .
>
> (and vice-versa)
>
> Further corrections/additions welcome.
>
> [1] http://www.lingvoj.org/ontology.rdf

For simplicity sake, just at "#this" to the following URLs and then
reevaluate the model i.e, <http://example.org/index.en.html#this> which
is the primary resource (a representation of the document which is
basically a container) associated with a secondary resource (a
representation of what the document is about). At the current time, your
modeling discards the container i.e., treats resource "index.html" as
none existent by describing it using properties of its content.

President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen