Re: Subjects as Literals

On 06/07/2010 09:44, "Henry Story" <henry.story@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 Jul 2010, at 09:19, Dan Brickley wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> Hi Sampo.
>>> I venture in again...
>>> I have much enjoyed the interchanges, and they have illuminated a number of
>>> cultural differences for me, which have helped me understand why some people
>>> have disagree with things that seem clear to me.
>>> A particular problem in this realm has been characterised as
>>> S-P-O v. O-R-O and I suspect that this reflects a Semantic Web/Linked Data
>>> cultural difference, although the alignment will not be perfect.
>>> I see I am clearly in the latter camp.
>>> Some responses below.
>>

>> imho RDF processing requires both perspectives, and neither is more
>> semwebby or linky than the other.
>
> I agree with what you say here Dan, though I don't think it has anything
> to do with S-P-O or O-R-O.
Just my reading of Dan' message - thanks Henry for putting it clearly.
I now understand even better that some people see the "S" as a special
thing, that somehow is tied into the statements that are being made about
the "S".
The Quad bit of the graph is sort of an acceptance that things are more
O-R-O than S-P-O.
In fact, maybe the heretics (such as me) who just view things as O-R-O are
the reason that Quads are wanted at all.
We have decoupled the "S" from any special role, and so some sense of what
triples are "about" is being added.

> That we have different graphs and that they can be merged are furthermore
> complimentary and essential to the semantic web. The RDF Semantics in my
> view clearly contains the notions of separate graphs, since it shows how
> they should be merged when *both are considered to be True*! Therefore
> if two graphs are not considered to be true there is no requirement to
> merge them. This is quite clear in the talk of possible worlds from the RDF
> Semantics document
>
> [[
> The basic intuition of model-theoretic semantics is that asserting a sentence
> makes a claim about the world: it is another way of saying that the world is,
> in fact, so arranged as to be an interpretation which makes the sentence true.
> In other words, an assertion amounts to stating aconstraint on the possible
> ways the world might be.
> ]]
>
> ( In this way of thinking about things relations are thought of as sentences.
> So this is just one more way of thinking of the relations in addition to S-P-O
> or O-R-O)
So it looks to me like your [[...]] seems to be very O-R-O to me.

> Now it is quite clear from the above that when one has two incompatible
> graphs, then both of them still have meaning. They both can describe possible
> ways the world can be. It is just that merging them will lead to the set of
> all possible worlds: ie, nothing will be said.
>
> RDF is a relational semantics. The model is arrows between things. That
> the serialisations don't allow literals in predicate position is a syntactic
> restriction, not a semantic one: because semantically one just cannot
> impose such a restriction. It is very clear that there are relations between
> numbers for example.
Cool ... Onwards to the discussion of exactly what defines RDF semantics, as
I bow out (again).