Re: Content negotiation: Why always redirect from non-information resource to information resource?

From: Bernhard Schandl <bernhard.schandl@univie.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:14:07 +0100
Cc: Georgi Kobilarov <georgi.kobilarov@gmx.de>, Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>, "Zholudev, Vyacheslav V." <v.zholudev@jacobs-university.de>, "Rabe, Florian" <f.rabe@jacobs-university.de>
To: Christoph LANGE <ch.lange@jacobs-university.de>
Hi Christoph,

> I.e. the reasoning in
> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/httpRange-14/2007-05-31/HttpRange-14#iddiv1138805816
> (essentially the same as what you said above) is clear to me from a
> philosophical point of view, but not from a technical one.  I'm taking a more
> pragmatic view here, as the information that we would like to serve is not
> necessarily "the one, true and only concept of Berlin", but rather something
> more pragmatic, such as "our view of Berlin, as we happen to define it (in
> RDF)"  and IMHO the latter can as well be unified with an information
> resource.

You give the answer to yourself. "Your view of Berlin, as you happen to define it (in RDF)" can be served as an RDF document under a specific URI. But within this document you will use "the one true and only URI of Berlin" (whatever this is) to talk about the actual city.

I think you will agree that the former is something different from the latter, and thus deserves to have its own URI.

Best, Bernhard