Re: Content negotiation: Why always redirect from non-information resource to information resource?

From: Richard Light <richard@light.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 08:09:04 +0000
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Cc: Christoph LANGE <ch.lange@jacobs-university.de>, Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>, Vyacheslav Zholudev <v.zholudev@jacobs-university.de>, Florian Rabe <f.rabe@jacobs-university.de>
In message <4B5F84B9.9020601@openlinksw.com>, Kingsley Idehen
<kidehen@openlinksw.com> writes

>As for the HTML part, this is about providing an HTML representation of
>the Object (Resource) metadata rather than being confined to a single
>representation. Note, these days RDF based resource descriptions are
>served up in quite a few representations: HTML, HTML + RDFa, N3/Turtle,
>JSON, RDF/XML, TriX, TriG etc..

If you see the URL as representing the subject of discourse (=
non-information resource), there are also non-RDF representations of
that subject which can be associated with the URL (and requested using
the 303 mechanism, by specifying a suitable Accept header).

A Topic Map fragment (in various serializations) would be one obvious
candidate.  Topic Maps and RDF can be seen as complementary ways of
supporting search, inference, etc., each with its own strengths.

In addition, it recently occurred to me that the same mechanism can also
be used to deliver an XML representation of the non-information
resource. In other words, a machine-processible version of the rich,
textual, human-readable HTML representation mentioned above.  This could
simply be in XHTML, or more interestingly in an XML application format
such as TEI, EAD or Docbook.

Bringing full XML into the infochain would allow machine processes
access to a fuller story, whether they are reasoning with the data they
have found or constructing data views to present to end-users.  At
present, Linked Data browsers seem to be limited to displaying sets of
RDF triples as their "result sets".

In general, allowing a single non-information resource URL to be
associated with a wide variety of machine-processible formats gives us
the potential to expand the power and expressiveness of the Linked Data
web in new ways.

Richard
--
Richard Light