Re: Linked Data API

Nathan wrote:
> Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> Nathan wrote:

>>> If I may make a suggestion; I'd like you to consider including the
>>> formed SPARQL query in with the return; so that developers can get used
>>> to the language and see how similar to existing SQL etc etc..
>>>
>>> For all this middle-ware is needed in the interim and provides access to
>>> the masses, surely an extra chance to introduce developers to linked
>>> data / rdf / sparql is a good thing?
>>>

>> Of course!
>>
>> ODBC / JDBC don't take SQL out of scope. Thus, the EAV graph model
>> equivalent shouldn't take SPARQL out of scope.
>>
>> Entity Framework doesn't take EntitySQL out of scope (this the less
>> capable SPARQL equivalent in the ADO.NET realm).
>>

> Yup, I wasn't going to say anything, but may as well for what it's worth
> (no disrespect meant, I totally sympathise with what you are all trying
> to do being in the web service / api land myself for many years).
>
> Here's what I see happening: Developers accessing the data through the
> API, downloading it, parsing it in to an RDBMS using their own table /
> class structure and then querying it locally with SQL. (And quite
> possibly then turning it in to a CSV!)

Final destination is only a problem if the URIs get shredded along the
way. Basically, nothing stops us having hypermedia CSV if the links are
intact :-)

The API should simply provide a uniform high level RESTful interface
performing CRUD operations against Linked Data Objects/Resources.

Kingsley.
> I wish I had something useful to say here, after the above, but I don't
> :( All I can say is that for those who SQL, SPARQL will take about a day
> to get started with, as probably will the linked data api (after you
> read the docs and get setup etc).
>
> Many Regards,
>
> Nathan

President & CEO