Re: head/@profile needed in HTML 5? GRDDL in Linked Data community?

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:
> The proposal from the editors and chairs it that it is not needed;
> i.e. not cost-effective.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Feb/0794.html
>
> Dan B., your message suggests (without actually saying so) that
> Dublin Core doesn't need it. Have you heard back from the Dublin
> Core decision-making authorities?
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/0576.html

There was a little discussion on the Dublin Core Advisory Board list
(not a public forum; sorry no links).

I don't believe we considered explicitly the scenario in which
profile= gets lost, but something like RDFa is not permitted for
HTML5.  Maybe Pete or Tom (cc:'d) can comment further? My personal
guess at a DC view would be something like "well if we don't get RDFa,
then don't take @profile away!", the assumption being that RDFa would
come with some namespace abbreviation mechanism, whether xmlns:-based
or otherwise. I doubt the DC community would be satisfied by the
current Microdata design in which each use of a DC property would be
identified by its full URI. If you like, I can ask explicitly.

> The microformats community seems happy to explore alternatives.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Feb/0690.html
>
> I'm considering pushing back on the 0794 proposal, but it's only
> worth my time if somebody actually needs head/@profile to survive
> into HTML 5.
>
> Does anybody need it?

That's a little like asking if someone needs the emergency life-raft
before telling them whether they get to keep using the boat or not.
WIthout RDFa, DC would have to use it.

> On a somewhat related topic... as RDFa matures, the need for GRDDL
> somewhat fades. I wonder, though... to what extent is GRDDL
> used in the linked data community? What tools consume it? What
> content providers produce it?

I've never used GRDDL, and I don't know of anyone actively using it.
That said, there are many things I don't know! I have tried to get
Redland/Raptor working with it to consume POWDER a couple of times,
but with no success. When I think about running GRDDL against wild Web
content, I have some vague worry about whether untrusted XSLTs are
sufficiently sandboxed, but I haven't investigated the risks very
carefully. I remember Bijan raising similar concerns a while back.

cheers,

Dan