Re: Linking HTML pages and data

Ian Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> I also agree w/ Kingsley that it would be neat to also have a <link>
>> pattern that non-RDFa folks could use:
>>
>>  <link rel="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/primaryTopic"
>> href="http://dbpedia.org/resource/Mogwai_(band)" title="Mogwai" />
>>

> I have been promoting the use of the simpler "primarytopic" rel value
> as a pattern for linking HTML pages to the things they are about. I
> don't think we need to complicate things with pseudo namespaces etc
> for HTML, just focus on something simple people can copy.
>
> You can see it in use on data.gov.uk:
>
> http://education.data.gov.uk/doc/school/500006
>
> contains:
>
> <link rel="primarytopic" href="http://education.data.gov.uk/id/school/500006" />
>
> Ian

Ian,

I really don't believe we achieve much via:
<link rel="primarytopic"
href="http://education.data.gov.uk/id/school/500006" />

"primarytopic" isn't an IANA registered type link.

If you absolutely need to use foaf then its better to qualify it:
<link rel="foaf:primarytopic"
href="http://education.data.gov.uk/id/school/500006" />

Yes, its a PITA for the average HTML user/developer, but being
superficially simpler doesn't make it a valid long term solution. There
is a standard in place for custom typed links re. <link/>.

Links:

1. http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml
2. http://www.mnot.net/drafts/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-07.txt
-- guide for registering new link relations is in section 4.1

President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen