Re: Terminology when talking about Linked Data

Hi Nathan,

Though I assume not universally shared:

On 2/16/2010 7:32 PM, Nathan wrote:
> Peter Ansell wrote:
>> Hi Nathan,
>>
>> On 17 February 2010 11:18, Nathan<nathan@webr3.org>  wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Other than the obvious - Linking Open Data = The name of W3C Community
>>> Project - I'm wondering which terminology to use where when talking
>>> about (what I'll term "Linked Data" for now).

>>> at the core of it, which can be used behind the firewall in a "silo"
>>> with nothing open about it.
>>>
>>> So if I then term "Linked Open Data" as "Linked Data" which has been
>>> published properly, then what do I use to refer to the tech-stack and
>>> principals as a whole?
>>
>> If it is published internally to an organisation, it may still be
>> Linked Data as the URI's may be resolvable internally by all people
>> who have any need to see the information. It may violate privacy laws
>> for example for the information to be publically available.
>>
>> I wouldn't so much refer to it as "properly" published, as
>> "publically" published.

Linked data is a set of best practices for publishing and
deploying instance and class data using the RDF data model. Two
of the best practices are to name the data objects using uniform
resource identifiers (URIs), and to expose the data for access
via the HTTP protocol. Both of these practices enable the Web to
become a distributed database, which also means that Web
architectures can also be readily employed.

It is not an end in itself, a manifesto for "open data", or a
substitute for the semantic Web.  It is a useful and recommended
practice (technique), but nothing more [1]. ;)

Mike

[1] http://structureddynamics.com/linked_data.html

>> What is the context in which you need to make the distinction?
>>

> The context is purely in discussion format; when I'm talking about
> "Linked Data" - if I first explain it to mean "linked data"; then talk
> about it being made public as "linked open data" (leaving the
> private/public what to publish bit out of it) then to what do I refer to
> the overall tech-stack as? everything that comes with it eg:
>
>   - Linked Data, RDF, SPARQL, REST, Quad-Stores, REST, Ontologies, OWL2,
> EAV/CR, FOAF+SSL, HTTP, URIs etc
>
> A name for the above as a whole.
>
> Many Regards,
>
> Nathan
>
> ps: I'm aware I wrote REST twice, but for some reason it seemed amusing
> to leave it in..?!

Michael K. Bergman
CEO  Structured Dynamics LLC
319.621.5225